Hypertension Medication

Posted by DCampbell aka Puteri | 8/22/2008 02:58:00 PM | 0 comments »

Early this year, I was taken off hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic, which was prescribed to me for controlling my hypertension. I was taken off that medication because the medication, while controlling my hypertension, also raised my blood glucose level.

However, without the medication, I wasn't able to manage my hypertension successfully. Last month, while I was in Malaysia, I had to see a doctor about my frequent headaches and the unacceptable blood pressure readings. The headache was a symptom of my hypertension which was not under control.

I was prescribed Cozaar (losartan potassium) which is in a group of drugs called angiotensin II receptor antagonist. What it does is it keeps blood vessels from narrowing, which lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow and helps the kidneys to eliminate extra fluid.

Initially I was told to take 50 mg of the drug, but since 50 mg did not quite bring down the blood pressure reading to more acceptable levels, I took 100 mg of the drug once a day.

The initial side effect I experienced was headache two to three hours after taking the medicine. But after a month, my body seemed to have adjusted to the medication and I no longer experience the headache. The headache was bad enough for me to want to change to another medication but I decided to see if after a month, the side effect would persist. Fortunately it didn't.

Since taking Cozaar, my blood pressure reading is in the normal range. Most of the time the systolic reading is under 12o, while the diastolic reading is under 80. Sometimes the systolic reading does get over 120, but well under 130. That is acceptable level for me. And the other positive effect of the medicine is that I no longer have issues with water retention. Previously, hydrochlorothiazide which is a diuretic, did not do as well at getting rid of the excess fluid in my body.

I would rather use a natural alternative to control my blood pressure, but whatever alternative I have tried did not seem to have much effect. Want it or not, I am now treating my hypertension with a drug.

0 comments

ss_blog_claim=5f4c9d8fa8cfc43e54e47bd3e82491ce