Men's Makeup

Posted by DCampbell aka Puteri | 5/04/2008 05:29:00 PM | 0 comments »

Remember the fuss about David Beckham's "boyzilian" in an underwear advert? Or Frank Lampard's waxed armpits? Well, the male beauty regime is about to get a whole lot more complicated. Last week Harvey Nichols launched Jean Paul Gaultier's new make-up range for men. Monsieur – a range of 17 products for men, which includes bronzers, a brow pencil and eyeliner – is the latest part of a rapidly expanding male grooming industry.

A spokeswoman for the Knightsbridge store said on Friday that Monsieur was proving popular with "fashion-conscious straight men to metrosexual and gay men. In general there has been a great boost in male grooming products, and men's make-up is a natural extension of this trend." She added: "Many men already borrow their girlfriends' products."

The men's toiletry market was worth an estimated £806m in the UK last year, up from £639m since 2002.

[..]

Mr Kynaston sounds a note of caution for men considering lip gloss and an application of "guyliner": "I'm a big advocate that grooming should be invisible with men. Does the average woman want a guy to wear more make-up than her? Men still want to be men, and women want men to look like men." However, he added: "No one would have predicted hair removal to explode as it did. Who knows what's next?"

The rest of the story here.


I don't know about you, but the idea of men wearing makeup just makes me think of the word "sissified"! eek

I mean I am not against men using products to keep their face clear and clean and using a concealer to cover some acne break outs. I think even men need to go for a facial now and then. But I draw the line at men wearing eye-liners, mascara and face powder even when the face powder is called bronzers! lol

I don't even like the make-up the male TV news anchors or TV personalities have to wear to be on TV, because to me some looked like a mortician had done their make-up! eek

I prefer my men to still look like men, and not a primped up one!

0 comments

ss_blog_claim=5f4c9d8fa8cfc43e54e47bd3e82491ce