National Diabetes Month 2007

Posted by DCampbell aka Puteri | 12/05/2007 10:08:00 PM | | 0 comments »

I did not realize that November was National Diabetes Month. President George W. Bush by an act of proclamation declared November to be National Diabetes Month.

Diabetes is a disease that I am constantly aware of. My father is a diabetic and I suffered from gestational diabetes during my pregnancy about five years ago. I have this constant fear that I might end up a diabetic, just like my father is.

A few days ago I took a random blood sugar test, an hour after a meal. The blood sugar reading showed 211 mg/dl. :-( I was shocked, and that prompted me to make changes to my diet. I do not want to end up a diabetic and I can help myself by changing my diet and begin exercising seriously.

This is what I read in a medical website.

  • A fasting blood glucose test. This test is performed after you have fasted (no food or liquids other than water) for eight hours. A normal fasting blood glucose level is less than 110 mg/dl. A diagnosis of diabetes is made if your blood glucose reading is 126 mg/dl or higher. (In 1997, the American Diabetes Association lowered the level at which diabetes is diagnosed to 126 mg/dl from 140 mg/dl.)

  • A "random" blood glucose test taken at any time. A normal blood glucose range is in the low to mid 100s. A diagnosis of diabetes is made if your blood glucose reading is 200 mg/dl or higher and you have symptoms of disease such as fatigue, excessive urination, excessive thirst or unplanned weight loss.

If I am not already diabetic then I would be what is called pre-diabetic. That is not a happy thought.

I need to make a doctor's appointment for a diabetic screening so I can know for sure whether I am diabetic or not.

0 comments

ss_blog_claim=5f4c9d8fa8cfc43e54e47bd3e82491ce