Honey for treating coughs in children

Posted by DCampbell aka Puteri | 12/11/2007 11:59:00 AM | 0 comments »

CHICAGO - A teaspoon of honey before bed seems to calm children's coughs and help them sleep better, according to a new study that relied on parents' reports of their children's symptoms.

The folk remedy did better than cough medicine or no treatment in a three-way comparison. Honey may work by coating and soothing an irritated throat, the study authors said.

"Many families are going to relate to these findings and say that grandma was right," said lead author Dr. Ian Paul of Pennsylvania State University's College of Medicine.

Full story here.

Honey. Interesting. This is something that never entered my mind though I love honey cough drops when I have coughs.

I have stopped giving my children cough medicines to treat their coughs. They do not work on them. The only thing that seems to work is the beclomethasone dipropionate inhaler.

I think I will try giving them a teaspoon of honey before bed to help them further.

0 comments

ss_blog_claim=5f4c9d8fa8cfc43e54e47bd3e82491ce