Blueberries May Lower Blood Fat/Cholesterol

Posted by DCampbell aka Puteri | 9/06/2007 09:44:00 AM | | 0 comments »

I did not know that blueberries contain a powerful cholesterol- and fat-fighting compound. This is simply wonderful news! I have been looking around for some natural solutions for treating high cholesterol. My bad cholesterol level is a bit on the high side. The fact that I don't exercise is not helping my condition!

I am already taking hydrochlorothiazide to treat my blood pressure and I sure do not want to take more drugs to treat my blood sugar level or my cholesterol level in the future! If there are natural solutions that work, all the better. Lipitor, a cholesterol lowering drug made by Pfizer have some adverse side effects.

An article I came across said that a cup of blueberries a day is more effective than any statin drug in lowering LDL cholesterol.

The other exciting news about blueberries is that Pterostilbene - the fat-fighting compound in blueberries - has been found to have cancer-fighting and diabetes-fighting properties. Diabetes is one disease I am concerned about because of my family history.

Can you get fresh blueberries all year round? The price of freeze dried blueberries is exhorbitant! The cheapest I've found cost $29.99 for a 12 oz can. That translates to 10 cups of blueberries. :-(

You already know blueberries are good for you. They're already touted as antioxidant-rich fruits that protect against the ravages of aging, heart disease, and cancer. Now add potential cholesterol-fighting effects to the list of blueberry benefits, suggests Agnes M. Rimando, PhD, of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Natural Products Utilization Research Center in Oxford, Miss.

Rimando and colleagues tested a compound found in blueberries, pterostilbene, for its ability to turn on a switch in cells that breaks down fat and cholesterol. They reported their findings at this week's 228th national meeting of the American Chemical Society in Philadelphia.

"We are excited to learn that blueberries, which are already rich in healthy compounds, may also be a potent weapon in the battle against obesity and heart disease," Rimando says in a news release.

Pterostilbene -- the fat-fighting compound in blueberries -- has been found to have cancer-fighting and diabetes-fighting properties. It's similar to resveratrol, which is found in grapes. That's one reason why moderate amounts of red wine are good for you. Rimando and colleagues report that the blueberry compound may be even more potent than the red-wine compound.

Read the full story here.

0 comments

ss_blog_claim=5f4c9d8fa8cfc43e54e47bd3e82491ce