How to stop a nose bleed

Posted by DCampbell aka Puteri | 5/02/2010 11:28:00 AM | 0 comments »

This morning I had a nose bleed. It has been several weeks since the last nose bleed. My nose tend to bleed when the air is dry and last night seemed to be drier than it has been. I woke up some time during the night with a very dry mouth.

So far this year, and much of last year, the incidence of nose bleed has been quite infrequent. Unlike the previous years where nose bleeds were a common occurrence. I have to be extremely careful when I wash my face and when I wipe it dry. Too much rubbing may trigger a nose bleed. When that happens, I tend to believe (not that I am absolutely certain!) the membrane inside the left nostril must be pretty thin.

Anyway, I have learned the correct and effective way to stop a nose bleed. When I follow the following steps, the nose bleeds stop pretty quickly. Step number 6 really helps when the nose bleed is severe.

1. Pinch all the soft parts of the nose together between your thumb and index finger.

2. Press firmly toward the face - compressing the pinched parts of the nose against the bones of the face.

3. Lean forward slightly with the head tilted forward. Leaning back or tilting the head back allows the blood to run back into your sinuses and throat and can cause gagging or inhaling the blood.

4. Hold the nose for at least five minutes. Repeat as necessary until the nose has stopped bleeding.

5. Sit quietly, keeping the head higher than the level of the heart. Do not lay flat or put your head between your legs.

6. Apply ice (wrapped in a towel) to nose and cheeks.


Reference: How do you stop the common nose bleed.

0 comments

ss_blog_claim=5f4c9d8fa8cfc43e54e47bd3e82491ce