Purine in asparagus

Posted by DCampbell aka Puteri | 4/26/2010 06:50:00 PM | 0 comments »

I just had a dinner of stir fried asparagus with shrimp. I love asparagus but I cannot eat it often. I found that twice a week of asparagus can cause pain in my joints especially in one of my hands. I can't say if I suffer from gout but eating too much asparagus does cause gout like pain! eek

It appears that asparagus contains concentrated levels of purine (uric acid is formed from the breakdown of purines). Cauliflower, chicken, liver, kidney beans, lima beans, mushrooms, navy beans, oatmeal, peas salmon, spinach, and tuna are also purine-rich foods.

As such, any one with gout arthritis needs to watch the amount of purine-rich foods.

On the plus side, where asparagus is concerned, there is scientific evidence that the consumption of asparagus can increase urine production. It is also a good source of dietary fiber, folic acid, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B6, and several minerals.

In my case, continue to eat asparagus but watch the amount! mrgreen

0 comments

ss_blog_claim=5f4c9d8fa8cfc43e54e47bd3e82491ce