Beware of rash from cell phone use

Posted by DCampbell aka Puteri | 10/16/2008 08:13:00 PM | 0 comments »

LONDON (Reuters) - Doctors baffled by an unexplained rash on people's ears or cheeks should be on alert for a skin allergy caused by too much mobile phone use, the British Association of Dermatologists said on Thursday.

Citing published studies, the group said a red or itchy rash, known as "mobile phone dermatitis," affects people who develop an allergic reaction to the nickel surface on mobile phones after spending long periods of time on the devices.

"It is worth doctors bearing this condition in mind if they see a patient with a rash on the cheek or ear that cannot otherwise be explained," it said.

The British group said many doctors were unaware mobile phones could cause the condition.

Full story here.


I thought cancer in the brain was the thing to worry about if you use the cell phone too much. But skin rash?

I did not realize that the metal that is used on the cell phones was nickel. I do not wear jewelry made of nickel because my skin is sensitive to nickel. Fortunately, where the cell phone is concerned, I do not use it long enough each time for there to be any danger from over exposure to nickel.

I have an iPhone and I have a plastic cover for it. No nickel, if any, touches my skin! mrgreen

0 comments

ss_blog_claim=5f4c9d8fa8cfc43e54e47bd3e82491ce