Supplements that help manage blood sugar

Posted by DCampbell aka Puteri | 12/13/2007 12:01:00 PM | 0 comments »

Recently I found a food supplement product that made this claim: Unconditionally Guaranteed to Keep Healthy Blood Sugar Levels in Normal Range. That piqued my interest.

Naturally I looked at the ingredients used in their supplement. There was Banaba, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, Gymnema Sylvestre, Huckleberry, Chromium, Zinc, and Biotin. Hmm. Not much different from what I already have.

Two days ago my before breakfast blood sugar reading was 102 mg/dL. I had broiled salmon and some spinach salad for lunch.

At dinner time, I had a bowl of barley beef soup for dinner. The soup was made with 1 can of cream of chicken soup, chicken stock, slices of broiled beef, and spinach. The barley was boiled in water until was it was soft before I added all the other ingredients. I also took one capsule of gymnema sylvestre and one capsule of alpha lipoic acid with my meal. After dinner I drank a cup of bitter melon tea.

Two and half hours after dinner I took another blood sugar test. I could not believe my eyes. The test reading showed 78 mg/dL! That was lower than my fasting reading that morning! Before bed, I took a bowl of cereal before bed. :-) I did not want to end up hypoglycemic!

I believe that the two capsules and the bitter melon tea helped with the blood sugar control. From now on, I will continue to take a capsule of gymnema sylvestre and a capsule of lipoic acid with my meals and drink bitter melon tea afterwards.

I am pleased that with the change in my diet, I am managing my blood sugar really well. I have started exercising too and that helps. I am not yet diabetic but I know that if I am not careful I can end up one. The over 200 mg/dL reading after a not that extra-ordinary dinner last week really spooked me. My father is a diabetic so the genes I have inherited is not in my favor.

Diabetes is a disease that can be prevented and I am going to prevent it from happening in me!

0 comments

ss_blog_claim=5f4c9d8fa8cfc43e54e47bd3e82491ce