Short legs and liver damage

Posted by DCampbell aka Puteri | 12/21/2007 11:11:00 AM | | 0 comments »

WASHINGTON - Women with short legs may have a higher risk of liver disease, with both probably caused by diet or other factors early in life, British researchers reported on Monday.

Their study of 3,600 women showed that the shorter a woman's legs were, the more likely she was to have signs of liver damage.

The findings fit in with other studies linking leg length with diabetes and heart disease, Abigail Fraser of the University of Bristol and colleagues said.

Full story here.

The first question that came to my mind as I read this story was "How short is short?" I got my answer as I read further along the story. Short is described as the measurement of "leg length as compared to trunk length".

In that case my legs are not short. I am a short person but my legs are longer than my trunk, even though I think I have short hips. Well, that's a relief!

Well, I don't drink much alcohol so the likelihood of a liver damage is lessened. But medication that is taken over many years do affect the liver. Right now I am hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic, for my blood pressure. I hope I can do away with this medication some day.

0 comments

ss_blog_claim=5f4c9d8fa8cfc43e54e47bd3e82491ce