Health Benefits of Persimmons

Posted by DCampbell aka Puteri | 11/03/2007 03:34:00 PM | | 0 comments »

I love persimmons and at this time of the year, persimmons are abundant!

I always credited my ability to conceive to persimmons. I had been married more than three and the year I got pregnant, I ate a lot of persimmons. Before that, Doug and I had gone on an extended holiday. It was busy trip hopping from plane to plane and airport to airport. When we got home it was persimmon season. I ate lots of it. That was the only thing I did different that year, apart from the tiring holiday.

And just before Thanksgiving that year, I felt strange. My heart would race for no reason. In fact it alarmed me. Many times I thought I was going to have a heart attack! :-) I was pregnant!

Today, I found that persimmons have some really good health benefits.

Persimmons contain significant concentrations of dietary fiber, minerals and phenolic compounds - all instrumental in fighting atherosclerosis, a leading cause of heart disease, heart attacks and stroke.

Persimmons are also rich in sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron and manganese.

According to Shela Gorinstein, Ph.D., a research associate with the department of medicinal chemistry in the School of Pharmacy at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Israel, eating one medium-sized persimmon (about 100 grams) a day is enough to help fight atherosclerosis.

Eat your persimmon today, and enjoy its health benefits as well!

Source: A Persimmon A Day Could Be Better For Your Heart Than An Apple

0 comments

ss_blog_claim=5f4c9d8fa8cfc43e54e47bd3e82491ce